I have just got a new theory of eternity.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.
I never think of the future – it comes soon enough.
I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world.
I think and think for months and years. Ninety-nine times, the conclusion is false. The hundredth time I am right.
I used to go away for weeks in a state of confusion.
I want to know all Gods thoughts; all the rest are just details.
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid.
It stands to the everlasting credit of science that by acting on the human mind it has overcome man’s insecurity before himself and before nature.
It was the experience of mystery – even if mixed with fear – that engendered religion.
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
Joy in looking and comprehending is nature’s most beautiful gift.
Knowledge of what is does not open the door directly to what should be.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized.
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Love is a better teacher than duty.
– “Am I a romantic? I’ve seen Wuthering Heights ten times. I’m a romantic.”
– “Anything I’ve done up till May 27th 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life.”
– “As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fitted in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition too.”
– “France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they’ve forgotten all about it. I’m afraid that the American culture is a disaster.”
– “How many chances to you get to make a musical about a serial killer? The minute Tim Burton approached me, I was in.”
– “I am doing things that are true to me. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.”
– “I don’t pretend to be captain weird. I just do what I do.”
– “I guess I’m attracted to these off beat roles because my life has been a bit abnormal. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.”
– “I may have a feather duster down my pants.”
– “I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.”
– “I remember in that red leisure suit I sort of felt like a Pizza Hut employee, and the white one was the ultimate, with the white turtleneck collar, that was the ultimate in bad taste.”
– “I think everybody’s nuts.”
– “I think the thing to do is enjoy the ride while you’re on it.”
– “I was ecstatic they re-named ‘French Fries’ as ‘Freedom Fries’. Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots.”
– “I’m an old-fashioned guy… I want to be an old man with a beer belly sitting on a porch, looking at a lake or something.”
– “I’m not sure I’m adult yet.”
– “I’m shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I’ve done everything I can to avoid it.”
– “If there’s any message to my work, it is ultimately that it’s OK to be different, that it’s good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
– “If you catch me saying ‘I am a serious actor,’ I beg you to slap me.”
– “It’s all kinds of these profound things crashing on you when your child arrives into the world. It’s like you’ve met your reason to live.”